learning (142) diary (105) picture (92) religion (91) recipe (36) IT (25) others (25) iium (24) video (17) language (14)

Saturday, September 12, 2015

Idiom in English (Part 1)

Assalamualaikum, Ni3 hao1, konnichiwa ...

Today i would like to share idioms that can be used while talking in English. Btw, just want to inform that I just know and learn how to pronounce the Mandarin tones correctly~!!! omg~~~ I feel so happy finally my ear are able to capture and differentiate the tones. It's so hard for me previously but now I need more practice. haha Having no FB throughout the week, no Whatsapp for non-sense make me so productive and can do so many things until flat. My neuron and acetylcholines are very active generating the new one.

Besides learning Mandarin, I also need to improve my English vocabulary so that I'm able to make sweet and spicy sentence. hahaha  So here are the list of the idioms that I copy from a book (i'm addicted to copy a book now. lol~ But actually if i copy this, i will remember those words more stronger.. )

Had better
[it would be good for them to do it]
+ I think we'd better go now. It is getting rather late.

Hands off
[you don't want someone to touch or take it]
+ Hands off those cakes. They're for your sister's friends.

Have (got) a bone to pick with someone
[they have done something that makes you unhappy]
+ I don't know why Sarah has a bone to pick with me. I've done nothing to hurt her.

Have a go / Have a go at
[you try to do something]
+ Look, if you think you could do better, why don't you have a go?

Have a good time
[They enjoy themselves]
+ We were all having such a good time that no body wanted to go.

Have fun / Have fun with
[They do things that they enjoy]
+ We need time at the weekend to have fun with our friends.

Have had enough of
[Means you are tired of them]
+ Children, I've had enough of your noise. Be quiet for five minutes!

Have had it
[things is no longer usable]
+ I really thought I'd had it when I fell of the ladder.

Haven't the foggiest idea
[have no knowledge of the subject that is being talked about]
+ I'm afraid I haven't the foggiest idea what you're talking about.

Help yourself

[you take something that have been invited to take]
+ Dad gave us each some meat and we helped ourselves to vegetables.

Hit the roof / Goes through the roof
[They become extremely angry]
+ If your teacher ever sees this, she'll go through the roof.

How do you like...?
[When you are asking someone to tell you how they would prefer to have something]
+ How do you like your jacket, sir - tight-fitting or loose?

I beg your pardon / I'm sorry

[Apologizing  for something you have done]
+ I beg your pardon - I didn't realize that this was your seat.

I can't help it
[you cannot avoid doing something/saying something]
+ I can't help it. I'm just too terrified of flying to travel anywhere by plane.

I would love to
[enthusiastic way of saying yes]
+ I'd love to go to Venice. It's a city I've always wanted to visit.

I don't blame you
[you think that someone's action/feeling were justified]
+ I don't blame George for wanting some peace and quiet at the weekend. He has to put up with so much noise during the week.

I dread to think
[when something that will happen in the future makes you feel anxious]
+ I dread to think how much it's going to cost to repair the car.

If I were you
[Use when giving someone advice/warning]
+ I wouldn't touch that, if I were you. It's just come out of the oven.

I know for a fact that
[use when going to give someone an interesting piece of information that you are certain is true]
+ I know for for fact that her mother disapproves of what she's doing.

I know what you mean
[shows you understand what someone has just said to you]
+ I know what you mean. I've got the same problem myself.

In a manner of speaking
[To suggest that what has just been said is slightly unusual and perhaps only partly true]
+ Chichken can fly in a manner of speaking, but usually only to get up to something like a low branch of a tree.

In a nutshell
[means in very few words]
+ Jane's last sentence put the matter in a nutshell.

In any case
[means Whatever happens/whatever the situation maybe]
+ We're going in any case, whether Peter and Jane come with us or not.

In dribs and drabs
[means in small numbers or quantities and at different times]
+ Why don't you collect all the money and then give it to me, rather than sending it over in dribs and drabs.

In my opinion
[When you are stating something that you personally think or believe]
+ In my opinion, the best thing to do is to wait.

In public
[You do it in a place where other people can see or hear you]
+ If you said that in public, you might get arrested.

In the long/short run
[means over a long/short period of time in the future]
+ Everone should know that in the long run smoking damages your health.

In the news
[They are being written about and pictured in the media]
+ Milisa is always in the news. Wherever she goes, photographers follow her.

It beats me
[Informal way of saying i do not understand it]
+ It beats me how she managed to get here so quickly.

I told you so
[means I informed you or warned you that this would happen]
+ I tould you so, but you wouldn't believe me.

It's a good job/thing that

[Means it is fortunate that..]
+ It's a good thing that there was nobody in the car when the tree fell on it.

It's a long story
[when they are asked to explain a situation. Means the explaination will be long& complicated.]
+ Why won't you tell us what went on at the meeting, Mr Finch? - 'Because it's a long story and I'm a very busy man.'

It's beyond me
[Means that you cannot understand how/why/what]
+ How Sarah could have left the back door wide open is beyond me.

It serves someone right

[means that the person has been justly punished because of something bad that they did]
+ I don't feel at all sorry for Ben. It serves him right for being cheeky.

It's just as well (that)

[means that it is fortunate that it happened or didn't happen]
+ It was just as well that we took our sweaters, because the evening turned very cold.

It's no joke
[means that it is a serious or difficult matter]
+ Trying to keep three children amused on a wet day is no joke either.

It's no use / good
[Express the idea that something will not produce any result/benefit]
+ We all tried together to lift the rock, but it was no use. The rock was much too heavy.

It's up to you/someone

[To decide which one they want that they have the responsibility for choosing it]
+ It's up to you, Maria, whether you want the red dress or the blue one.

I was wondering if/whether

[A way of asking a question very gently/politely]
+ I was wondering if you could lend me a few dollars?

Just a minute/second

[You want someone to wait or pause for a short time]
+ Just a minute, I'd like to look at that picture again, please.

Just in case
[Do it as a precaution]
+I'm taking my gloves just in case the weather turns cold.

Just you wait
[Use to create a feeling of expectancy in the person you are speaking to OR to prepare people for something exciting that is about to happen OR introduction to a threat of some kind]
+ Just you wait till my big brother hears what you did to me. Then you'll be sorry.

Keep an eye on
[You watch them in order to keep them safe or because you are suspicious of them]
+ Can you keep an eye on the saucepan in case it boils over?

Keep going

[They continue to move/do what they have been doing]
+ A piece of fruit will keep me going until lunch time.

Keep your eyes/ears open
[you want them to be alert and watch/listen for things]
+ Keep your eyes open for Orchard Street. That's where Richard lives.

Keep your fingers crossed / Cross your fingers
[Expressing a hope that something will happen]
+ We'll all be keeping our fingers crossed for you in the race.

Keep your voice down
[You want them to speak softly]
+ We have to keep our voices down or we'll frighten the birds away.

Knock it off
[Very informal way of telling someone to stop doing what they are doing]
+ Knock if off, you guys. It doesn't help if we quarrel amongst ourselves.

Leave someone/something alone

[You do not try to interfere with them]
+ Leave the cat alone, Rover. She doesn't want to play.

Let's face it
[To introduce something that is true]
+ Let's face it, Sarah isn't the greatest ballet dancer in the world.

Look out! / Watch out!
[A warning to alert someone that they are in danger/are endangering someone/something]
+ Look out! There's a car coming

Make a face / Pull a face
[You move/twist your features to show an expression of strong dislike/disgust on your face]
+ Brian opened the envelope and made a face. 'It's not the news I was hoping for,'he said.

Make a fuss / Kick up a fuss
[They express anger by shouting/being noisy&complaining]

+ Jenny kicked up a terrible fuss because she didn't want to go school.

Make do with
[You use them in place of something/someone better/preferable]
+ We don't have any more vases. Can you make do with this?

Make up your mind
[You come to a decision]
+ I can't make up my mid which of the two outfits I prefer.
+ Don't try and persuade me to do anything different. My mind's made up.

Mind your own business / That's none of your business
[say when you feel that the question is impolite/impertinent. it shows that you are unwilling to answer it]
+ I asked a perfectly civil question and she told me to mind my own business.

More or less
[Means almost/approximately]

+ They didn't arrive until the party was more or less over.

My feet are killing me
[Something that people say, informally/humorously when feet/;eg are feeling very painful/tired]
+ I've got to sit down for a minute. My feet are killing me.

My pleasure
[Say when someone thanks you for doing something for them or giving them something]
+ 'It's so kind of you to help.' - 'My pleasure.'

My treat
[Something that you say when you intend to pay for the things, for the people who are you with]
+ My treat, everyone. Order what you like.


Ok that's all for know Kamsiah che che for reading my blog~ (hokkien way of saying thank you very much). Next post I will try to write about my informal learning experience in nihon (japanese) language.

Zai4 jian4 (now I know the tone pronounciation and easy to remember the tone a little bit)

No comments: