Driving Experience in Penang Island

Assalamualaikum Ni hao Konnichiwa,

Today I would like to share and review about car driving in Penang Island. Actually I really love to share my experience through blogging but most of time, I am fully occupied with many things to do. hihi

I will upload the image related driving later since I write this using phone. 

Ok, I got my training in Penang around year 2010. Fee is around RM800 at that time. I need to repeat "hill" test since I am unable to go through without reverse on the hill test. hihi Then I have passed and got my driving license.

JPJ - Borang A


JPJ Borang B




My parent's car are all using gear, which means its manual and have clutch!  That year, there is already alot of car which use automatic gear but my father did not have any intention to buy one.

So for many years, I drive Renault Kangoo and Vanette to go everywhere around Penang. At first, it was difficult especially when there is a traffic light at any hill. Then I get use to manual car and happily driving. I can help many people carrying big things because I am able to drive Nissan Vanette and Renault Kangoo. Both are spacious. 

Comparing those two, Nissan Vanette is much more easier to drive for me because my leg can reach out those three pedals easily. But for Renault Kangoo, I need to sit near the steering and need to press the clutch fully to be able to change the gear. However, Kangoo do have power steering but Vanette do not have. So, if you want to make a u turn or side parking for van, it is very heavy. Most of the time, my hand will have muscle aches after driving van. My leg also sometimes trembling especially after driving in traffice jam. But I think no body in my family knows about this story. hihi Never tell them. Just bear it alone because later I believe I will get use to it.

After passing the driving test, only three situation that I fear to encounter while driving, which are :

1. At the round about. Because there is like haywire and many cars from many directions to see. I am unable to focus.

2. At the hill. Because afraid of reverse if stop at the hill.

3. Red traffic light. Need to change clutch and need to properly step and release at certain pressure and time for pedal "minyak" and clutch to prevent engine off. 

So, after about maybe 7+ years, then my parents brough Perodua Alza. It is using an automatic gear. Yeay! 

Then I use this most of the time while my father keep driving Kangoo and Vanette. Alza is my mother's car.

Every year, I will send the car to Polish & Wax to maintain the body paint quality. Services also be done by me by sending to Perodua Service Centre. It is free for 3 years. Cost for polish and wax is around RM150-RM200+ depending on the place of service.

There is times when my first time driving automatic car, I always accidently press pedal "minyak" and unable to control the steering. I even drive "melelong". hihi My friend even get scared that time. Sorry chingu Nini. (if you read this. :p ) I still remember that you said you after of my style of driving. :,)

Ok, the real reason I want to write this time is because I want to tell about the attitude of drivers in Penang. I am also not that good at first but people near me keep advising and then I improve slowly.

For those who are going to learn or drive in Penang, here are few advises for you :

1. Penangites love to change lane without giving signals. They will just "himpit" you till you give them a way.

2. Motorcycles always go through cars at each angle. Becareful when want to change lane because even in one blink, suddenly there might be a motorcycle behind you.

3. Motorcycle and cars love to drive very slow at the right lane. 

4. Penangites love to take you in front (celah masuk depan kita), then drive slowly. hahahaha This is very annoying.

5. When they see you give signal to change lane or just want to enter from junction, they will quickly drive faster to prevent you to enter. After passing you, they return to drive slowly and peacefully. hahaha Hope for you all to be patient when you face this.

6. So tips when want to change a lane, even if want to change maybe 2 minutes more, just give signal first. It is because some peole, when they see you gave a signal, they quickly speeding. Only few will slow their car to give you way to enter.

7. Motorcycle behaving like driving a car. They will use both lane to drive left and right. Then if you going to overtake/intercept and your car is very near to that motorcycle, the motorcycle will honk you and give angry face. It is always other people's fault. lol~

8. Cars like to drive slowly at traffic light and only thay car can pass through. Car behind need to wait for the red light. I hope you get what I mean.

9. Red traffic light turns green but some people maybe daydreaming / watching videos/ playing game inside the car. Some did not realize until the traffic light turns red back. OMG!!

The good news is..... Now I am a good driver~~~ :) I think I can drive like a professional F1. This maybe because I love to try many style of driving and finally I found my way. I have uploaded dash cam video of my driving to work from home in my youtube channel. You can go and watch there.

Here is driving license. You can renew for up to 5 years!



Ok thats all for now. So long time that I want to write about this. Finally I am able to do so. Sometimes when I feel sad, I think I am able write more. 

Oklah, See you next time. Jaane. Zai jian.

Comments